Sugarloaf Classic [ explore ]

Cycling around Sugarloaf mountain offers some stunning views with very little traffic. The roads are quiet and narrow and roll along through miles of tranquil farms. It's a perfect route for a long day in the saddle and a lazy ride in the country.
Overview: Sugarloaf Classic [ explore ]
Date: May 17, 2021
Distance: 81.4 miles / 131.00 kilometres
Elevation: + 5671 / - 5672 ft
Duration: 11 hours, 34 mins.
It has become somewhat of a cliche for me to say; "this is one of my favourite rides" — I have so many! But this one is rather special because it seems to include many aspects of a great cycle ride and it's one I keep returning to year after year.

I created my first report of this route back in 2016; Llangynidr & the Vale of Usk. The route was new for me then and came as quite a wonderful surprise. My second report followed in 2017; Llangynidr Commons & Sugarloaf Classic. A thing has happened.

Both of my previous reports follow many of the same lanes I'll be reporting on today and in the future will be used in combination for my Routes to Ride section later this year.

For this trip however, I deviated from my usual route climbing over Llangynidr Commons to explore an alternate road down through the village of Clydach. I then further explored several small lanes above Crickhowell where I discovered a couple of subtle variations that add a bit more character to the ride whilst avoiding two steep climbs. This is the specific reason why I call these rides explore.
I started my adventure with a simple climb up through Sirhowy Valley on NCN Route 467 to Tredegar where I then joined NCN Route 46 across the Heads of the Valley to Brynmawr.

This is a very common ride for me to follow at the beginning of many different routes and Brynmawr is a significant location for planning this route.
Brynmawr to Gilwern
The town is not unlike most small towns of the "Valleys". The majority of storefronts are boarded up with the exception of a few charity shops, a chemist, a small grocer, and of course a "vape" shop.

However, the town can boast being home to the oldest cinema in Wales; The Market Hall Cinema. If it's open when you pass, it's worthwhile to stick your head in and take a quick look around. They've done a lovely job restoring the theatre.
photo courtesy of Market Hall Cinema
As with many towns in Wales, you'll find a large decorative building dominating the town centre — the doors firmly shut, sitting unused, and mostly forgotten. People walk by without notice. It's a sad reminder of a more prosperous time; a time which in all probably — will never return.

From here there are several options for reaching the next destination; the village of Gilwern. For this ride, I've chosen to race down the valley through the villages of Blackrock, Clydach and Maesygwartha. This is the fastest route and easily gets to Gilwern in about 20 minutes.
I snake my way a short distance across town; the roads are clean and free from hardly any traffic, the houses are plain, uninteresting and sit right up against the pavement.
They've been working on the A465 for nearly seven years and as part of the improvements, they've replaced the old narrow road with a pedestrian bridge (above) crossing over to the Brynmawr Foundation school. Nice!

The roads project has been one of Wales largest and is full of controversy. You can read some on the BBC website: Heads of the Valleys road 'extortionate'.

Note: There is a cycle path which veers off to the left (shown below). Its starts off paved but soon changes over to very rough gravel with a fairly steep descent near the end. I've cycled it, but feel that it's only suitable for mountain bikes. I hope that this section is still under-construction.
They have completely changed the landscape across the sides of the valley. I give them credit though, they've created some lovely cycle lanes which greatly assist circumnavigating the new large roundabouts whilst avoiding the massive new bridge.
Once past the roundabouts, the road becomes surprisingly quiet and charming. It's shocking really... to discover this winding narrow road under a canopy of trees. It's wonderful cycling.
I should add too, that from Brynmawr to Gilwern, the enitire way — is all downhill. The road just weaves and drops along the northern hillside for nearly four miles.
There are a few sections of the road which are completely new. Widening the dual-carriageway has also meant widening the valley in places. But for the majority of the way, it's just this lovely little road weaving down the mountain.
Passing through the village of Clydach feels as if it's just clinging to the side of the mountain. I can assure you too, the road is much steeper than it appears in these photos.

The Blorenge makes an appearance (above) and then a few minutes later, Sugar Loaf stands out against the horizon (below).
The main road continues downhill before crossing under the A465 and onto the opposite side of the valley. But if we veer to the left onto Maesygwartha Road, we can continue down the northern side of the valley.

Plus, it's worth noting these adorable cottages, as well as this wonderful old sign from the past. It's a good place to stop, take a break and catch your breath.
It's reassuring to know that we won't encounter any locomotives along the lane, eh?
This route down from Brynmawr is not as dramatic as climbing over Llangynidr Commons, but this way is incredibly quaint. It would be easy to just race down the mountain, but it's much more rewarding to stop every once in a while just to look around.
Looks like a mountain, but it's not! At 1,955 feet, Sugar Loaf (far off in the distance above) is 45 feet shy of attaining the necessary 2,000 feet to be officially declared a mountain.
Almost down the mountain you enter the small village of Maesygwartha. Blink and you're back under the canopy of trees for the last half mile to Gilwern.
Turn right at the junction (above) and you'll immediately cross over the lovely Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal (below).
It's possible to enter onto the canal towpath to cycle from here to Crickhowell, but I'm going to follow the main road.
It doesn't look like much in the photo, but this is quite a steep hill down to the main road. If you're hungry, the Corn Exchange offers a wonderful selection of typical pub-grub... and the pints aren't too shabby either!
Gilwern to Crickhowell
At Gilwern, I turn left heading northwest on Crickhowell Road. It can be rather busy and it's quite narrow in places, but cyclists are common and cars are generally respectful. It's roughly three miles to our next junction in Crickhowell.

This way also happens to be a section of the "Cycle Across the Beacons" cycle route, which runs from Abergavenny to Llandeilo.

Note: If you're concerned about traffic, I'd suggest following the canal towpath. Although somewhat rough and muddy in places, it is completely traffic-free to Crickhowell.
Despite not having any shoulders along the road and few places to pullover, the road is smoothe and mostly flat. The views are wonderful. You'll be in Crickhowell in no time!
Crickhowell to NCN Route 42
I made a big mistake when I reached Crickhowell... I didn't take any photos of the town itself or of its wonderful bridge! Inexcusable. These deserve attention.

This happens sometimes when I'm anxious to cycle certain places... I simply forget to photograph WHERE I AM!
I left out of Crickhowell heading northeast on Bellfountain Road, which climbs quite steeply, hitting nearly 13% for the first mile and leaving me breathless at the top.
Once at the top though, the road levels out nicely and then rolls along for the next five miles so that you can relax and just enjoy the scenery.
This is an area of lush pastures, quiet working farms, and country estates. The road weaves gently back and forth as you slowly make your way behind Sugar Loaf.
Then roughly 4 miles from Crickhowell, there is a junction where the road divides. I normally go right and follow the Grwyne Fawr River along it's eastern bank (my "main" route). But for this ride, I went left and traveled the western bank as part of my exploration.
This slight diversion (shown in blue on the map above) runs for just over a mile before crossing the river again at Pontescob Cottage. From here I rejoin the eastern route at Forest Coal Pit.
Whilst stopped to take another snap, these two cuties came over to say hello... "Hello there!" Most sheep run away, but these curious chaps have yet to learn to fear us humans.
The road then turns right and crosses over the lovely Grwyne Fawr River. The air is moist and cool beneath the canopy trees. The water is gently splashing and bubbling, birds are chirping, and in the background, sheep are bleating.
Just past the bridge is Pontescob Cottage (mentioned earlier).
From here, the route soon comes to a unique junction of four roads! Most notably is a sign for Grwyne Fawr Reservoir (Wikipedia). I, along with my buddy Deano, attempted to cycle here in 2017. (You can read about that adventure here: Grywne Fawr Reservoir.)

Taking my immediate right and turning back almost as I had come; the road begins a long, slow slog up past the old school house and rejoins my "main" route at Forest Coal Pit.
The road soon levels off which then provides a gentle glide along the northern base of Sugarloaf with wonderful landscapes falling away to the left.
Glancing over the hedge, I noticed a shady yet colourful hump on the adjacent hillside. As I looked closer, I could see that it was in fact, covered in bluebells! Stunning.
It was getting late in the afternoon by this point and I was riding slowly. As I passed through the sleepy community of Bettws, I found myself drawn to the details.
How fantastic are those gate hinges? And these daisies made me think of the Eels tune.
And then just as the Skirrid showed itself, the road dipped, then dropped, and I was racing fast downhill toward Pantygelli and Old Hereford Road.
I joined NCN Route 42 at Old Hereford Road which I followed for less than a mile before turning west onto a connector road for NCN Route 46. I then followed NCN Route 46 just a short distance to join NCN Route 42 again.

Sound confusing? Well, it is, but NCN Route 42 dips down into Abergavenny before climbing back out and heading west. The short connector simply avoids having to go into town.
The map above shows what I've done better than my description. I've highlighted my route in blue and if you look closely you can see the dotted lines of NCN Route 42 heading down into Abergavenny and then back out.

NCN Route 42 to Coed Morgan
Once on NCN Route 42 again, the route begins a moderately steep climb along a quiet country lane running behind Wenddu Golf Course.
NCN Route 42 is a fanastic route which runs between Chepstow and Glasbury. (There are a quite a few steep climbs, particulary through Wentwood Forest and the aptly named Gospel Pass.) This section from Abergavenny to Usk, however; is more rolling and gentle. The scenery is exceptional too.
Sometimes it's all about the details... you don't see a bicycle decorating the outside of a house very often and I just love it.
I continued along NCN Route 42 as snakes its way through the countryside. I stopped taking photos somewhere outside Coed Morgan. I had cycled over 45 miles by this point and I was feeling pretty tired.
The clouds looked ominous as I came around the corner on the road heading to Usk. I still had roughly 30 miles ahead of me... Time to tuck in and head for home.
One last glance back at the Blorenge looming along the horizon. It's been a good day.

Summary - Sugarloaf Classic [ explore ]
I continued on through Usk and down to Newport before turning north for home. It had been a long day and I was fortunate to miss the rain.

I first documented this route in 2016; Llangynidr & the Vale of Usk. The next year, in 2017, I created; Llangynidr Commons & Sugarloaf Classic. I've cycled this way each year since. It's just a great, great route.

At some point I will merge all these reports into a single — larger feature for my Routes to Ride section. As I mentioned earlier, there are several areas I need to revisit to photograph.

It's big ride and the area it covers is quite large, but for the serious cyclist it's a fabulous adventure.

I hope you enjoyed this little write-up and as always, thanks for spending your time with me & Bike Wales.

Cheers! - muse kidd