5x / 2021

A collection of images and short reports compiled from five little rides
made during the summer and autumn of 2021.

I made 63 individual cycle rides during the 2021 calendar year; however, I felt that only 11 of those deserved a full write-up. I then had another five rides which were notable, but I only photographed short sections of them.

Looking back over these five rides, I decided that I'd like to develop each one into a larger, more extensive report for my Routes to Ride section. So, I've created this hybrid write-up where I've grouped these five short rides into one uber report/gallery as a starting point and reference for my future projects.

Table of Contents
You may jump directly to any ride in this report by clicking the map or name of the ride below. Additionally, you will find links to return to this TOC at the end of each section.
RIDE ONE
An easy cycle route down the Taff Trail to Cardiff Bay and back via Newport. Just guessing I'd say it's about 75% traffic-free.
RIDE TWO
This was an interesting exploration, but a very loose start for different route into Cardiff. I've got some work to do here.
RIDE THREE
I thought I had assembled this route because I cycle it so often. It just goes to show how I take for granted the excellent cycling we have here in Wales.
RIDE FOUR
This route has the possibilities of being used for a couple of different routes I have in mind. Both of them would be mostly traffic-free too!
RIDE FIVE
I am very intrigued with exploring more of the Vale of Glamorgan and this new extension from Llantrisant makes getting out there much easier.
A short reflection back on the rides along with ideas for future reports.

Cardiff Bay & Newport Loop
Hailey Park
View Full Map
Cardiff Bay & Newport Loop — at a Glance
Date: April 14, 2021
Distance: 68.2 miles / 109.76 kilometres
Elevation: + 2420 / - 2419 ft
Duration: 8 hours, 3 mins.
I generally make this ride several times a year and it's very easy to cycle. It's a good circular route combining several traffic-free paths of the National Cycle Network and quite roads. I've plans of adding this ride to my Routes to Ride section at some point in the future.

From my home, it's an easy glide across NCN Route 47 heading west to Quakers Yard where I merge onto the Taff Trail (NCN Route 8) which leads me south to Pontypridd, Nantgarw, and then all the way down to Cardiff Bay.

I then follow the Cardiff Bay Trail (counter-clockwise) before making my way across town to Newport Road. My route then weaves through an assortment of small neighbourhoods as I make my way across to St. Mellons and Hendre Lake Park. From there it's an easy hop onto NCN Route 88 which leads me back to Newport and NCN Route 47 again — back up the valley via the M&B Canal and Sirhowy Country Park.
 ▲ Back to
Hailey Park
I had cycled to Cardiff before I even thought of taking out my camera. But as the day progressed, I found myself randomly taking photos.
Llandaff Weir
Llydstep Park
Bute Park
Bute Park in Cardiff is an exceptional place to cycle. There is a vast network of traffic-free paths to explore and wander about. Most people follow the wide paved path shown on the far left in the photo above, but I love this smaller unpaved path which parallels the old canal.
Bute Park
I like the compostion of the image below with the leaning tree counter-balancing the angle of the building. But when I was editing the shot later, I noticed too that the shadow from the tree looks like a giant praying mantis. Now I can't look at the photo without seeing that big ole bug!
Bute Park
I snaked around Cardiff Bay and back across town without stopping. After leaving town I made my way to St. Mellons and Hendre Lake Park.
Hendre Lake Park
Hendre Lake Park
This is a fabulous place to stop for lunch. It's never crowded and it's a peaceful stop after the hectic escape from Cardiff.
Hendre Lake Park
Heading home along the canal I find it's hard to resist taking photos and this spot especially catches my attention every time.
Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal / Crumlin Arm
It was a gorgeous day and I hadn't any specific plans. I just felt like seeing the coast and the ride to Cardiff Bay is an easy fix. However, I need to concentrate on gathering more photos of this ride if I want to add this to my Routes to Ride section. It will be a big job!
 ▲ Back to

Cefn Mably Farm Wander
Along Penylan Road and the high ridge looking south over St. Brides, Marshfield, and the Bristol Channel
View Full Map
Cefn Mably Farm Wander — at a Glance
Date: May 31, 2021
Distance: 41.9 miles / 67.43 kilometres
Elevation: + 2793 / - 2792 ft
Duration: 4 hours, 0 mins.
I have no idea why I didn't shoot more photos on this ride. The day was gorgeous and I haven't cycled along the road from Bassaleg to Rudry but a few times. It's an interesting area that I want to explore more.

The ride starts off very easily by heading down NCN Route 47 through Sirhowy Valley Country Park and the Crumlin Arm of the M&B Canal to 14 Locks at High Cross. It's either downhill or flat for the first 16 miles!

At 14 Locks there's an unusual connector route to Bassaleg and NCN Route 4. It doesn't have a specific route number itself, but the paths are sign-posted very well using the (4) or "to route 4" blue Sustrans stickers.

Then from Bassaleg I soon veered off NCN Rotue 4 onto Penylan Road. It's quite a challenging climb, but as you can see from the photos, it is well worth the effort. Once at Michaelston-y-Fedw, I turned toward Cefn Mably Farm Park. From there, I again began climbing up toward Pentwyn Farm and the village of Rudry.

This road eventually led me six miles into Caerphilly. I then took a more direct route home following several main roads through Llanbradach and Ystrad Mynach — another section that I haven't documented which could benefit from some photographs.
 ▲ Back to
Along the same high ridge on Penylan Road looking north
On the high ridge above Cefn Mably Farm Park heading toward Pentwyn Farm, looking west
Ready to roll! Rudry Road is the crossroad at the bottom of the hill.
And then I haven't a clue where I was when I shot these last two photos... somewhere along the road heading toward Rudry?
This route deserves more attention than I'm showing today. I plan to explore Rudry Road down to the Lisvane and Llanishen reservoirs next. From there I can continue to Roath Park which could possibly be a new and interesting route. This too is just my start.
 ▲ Back to

Middle Valleys Tour
The Bandstand at Ynysangharad War Memorial Park in Pontypridd
View Full Map
Middle Valleys Tour — at a Glance
Date: June 14, 2021
Distance: 64.1 miles / 103.16 kilometres
Elevation: + 3696 / - 3696 ft
Duration: 9 hours, 20 mins.
Much like my Cardiff Bay & Newport Loop, I cycle this route several times a year and because of this, I'm afraid that I take it for granted. It's an easy ride — one that I make in both directions and it's a great combination of both quiet lanes and traffic-free paths.

The ride starts with a wonderful glide down NCN Route 47 through Sirhowy Country Park, Wanunfawr Parc, and then up onto the Crumlin Branch of Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal.

At 14 Locks, there is a short connector which leads down to the village of Bassaleg where the route joins NCN Route 4 (Celtic Trail) heading west. This section of the route follows along quiet lanes to the village of Machen where it then becomes traffic-free for the next few miles into the town of Caerphilly.

Riding through the centre of town and past the magnificent castle, NCN Route 4 leaves Caerphilly and drops down to Nantagarw where it then merges with the NCN Route 8 (Taff Trail) heading west. From Nantgarw, it's 5 miles of easy and relaxing traffic-free cycling to the town of Pontypridd.

NCN Route 8 and NCN Route 4 diverge at Pontypridd and I continue following NCN Route 8 north to Quakers Yard where I then joint NCN Route 47 again. This leads me back across the valley to Hengoed and home.

It's a great circular route combining traffic-free paths and quite roads and it's a very easy to cycle. Just as with my Cardiff Bay & Newport Loop, I've plans of adding this ride to my Routes to Ride section in the future. This is my start.
 ▲ Back to
Ynysangharad War Memorial Park
Nature Area (name unknown) along the Taff Trail
It's not the most enticing entrance to a cycle path (photo above), but this is misleading for the next section of this route is lovely.

Note: This section of the Taff Trail is currently closed for repairs. It's been prone to damage from flooding and I presume the council is working to improve the conditions(?). Personally, I hope they do something similar to the boardwalk at Caerleon, but we shall see.
The Taff Trail alongside the River Taff
Taff Trail
Taff Trail
This section of the Taff Trail is very unique and one of my favourites, but it suffers from tree roots pushing up the tarmac and is very, very bumpy (photo above).

They improved this section last year and it's fabulous now (photo below). If this is any indication of what we can look forward to with the other area, I'm excited!
Taff Trail
The images in this report will be used for a couple of different routes; The Middle Valleys Tour as I've indicated, but also with my Taff Trail project which has been languishing at the back of my drawing board for a few years now. Yikes!
 ▲ Back to

Pant & Rhymney Reverse Loop
The Taff Trail (NCN Route 8) and the Trevethic Trail (NCN Route 477)
View Full Map
Pant & Rhymney Reverse Loop — at a Glance
Date: May 02, 2021
Distance: 49.1 miles / 79.02 kilometres
Elevation: + 3222 / - 3222 ft
Duration: 5 hours, 40 mins.
The ride starts in Hengoed by heading west along NCN Route 47 through Parc Penalta. This first section is very unusual because it is mostly flat for four miles across the valleys to Quakers Yard.

From Quakers Yard, the route joins NCN Route 8 (Taff Trail) heading north for approximately two miles to where NCN Route 477 (Trevithick Trail) branches off just above Pontygwaith Farm. (The Taff Trail diverges to the left to continue on the western side of the valley.)

This is where my photos begin and follow NCN Route 477 along the eastern side of the Taff Valley before ending at Merthry Tydfil. What makes this route interesting is that it can be cycled almost entirely traffic-free.

Eventually, the final project will include a loop back through the Rhymney Valley along NCN Route 468. Just as with the other rides in this report, I've plans of adding this to my Routes to Ride section in the future.
 ▲ Back to
Taff Trail (NCN Route 8) / Trevithic Trail (NCN Route 477)
The ride starts on a lovely paved road for the first mile (a very quiet lane serving two homes near the end.) However, as the lane ends, the route becomes unpaved for the second mile which is quite rocky in places, mostly due to the still existing sleepers from the original Trevithick rail line (visible in photo below.)
Trevithic Trail (NCN Route 477)
Trevithic Trail (NCN Route 477)
The route then crosses over the current train line, rises up from along the River Taff to overlook the Taff Valley.
Trevithic Trail (NCN Route 477)
Portait bench at Puddler's Bridge in Pentrebach
Historical marker at Puddler's Bridge in Pentrebach
I need to spend more time taking better photos and gathering information about this unique bridge, as well as info about Richard Trevithick... future project!
Puddler's Bridge in Pentrebach
Trevithic Trail (NCN Route 477) heading up to Merthyr Tydfil
Taff Trail (NCN Route 8) opposite Cyfarthfa Ironworks in Merthyr Tydfil
Looking back over these photos and the overall route, I realise now what a fabulous route this will be to add to my collection of Routes to Ride. It's going to be a big project though. I've much to cover.
 ▲ Back to

Pontyclun & Cardiff [ explore ]
Treforest/Church Village Community Route as part of the National Cycle Network running between Pontypridd and Talbot Green
View Full Map
Pontyclun & Cardiff [ explore ] — at a Glance
Date: Oct 06, 2021
Distance: 71.6 miles / 115.23 kilometres
Elevation: + 4164 / - 4166 ft
Duration: 10 hours, 2 mins.
Of the five write-ups in this uber report/gallery, this one is the most incomplete. This report covers roughly 11 miles from Pontypridd to Pontyclun.

I set out to explore a new extension to the CVCR (Church Village Community Route) that had opened between Llantrisant and Pontyclun. Following that, I didn't have much of a plan.

Leaving Pontyclun, I made my way back to Cardiff along the very busy Llantrisant Road which I would not recommend to anyone. It is a narrow road, busy with traffic, then coupled with extensive housing construction makes cycling a complete nightmare.

Once I got to Cardiff the ride calmed down as I joined NCN Route 8 (Taff Trail) to Nantgarw where I then hopped on NCN Route 4 (Celtic Trail) across to Caerphilly and on to Bassaleg. From Bassaleg, I look my usual route home along the Crumlin Arm of the M&B Canal, then up through Sirhowy Country Park (NCN Route 47) and home.
 ▲ Back to
Portrait bench along the Treforest/Church Village Community Route
Somewhere along the first couple of miles, the route changes name from the Treforest Community Route to the Church Village Community Route. I'm not sure exactly where this change occurs from looking at the OpenStreetCycle maps (could it be Ton-Teg?), but I'm going to presume that it's at this portrait bench and picnic area (photo above.)
Church Village Community Route
If you like massive stone works, you will certainly appreciate the retaining walls lining the route for the first few miles. They don't provide much of a view, but their scale is impressive and the cycle route itself is excellent.

The route is not all like this, however. I failed to document most of the path which comes out from under the canopy at Ton-Teg and follows alongside the A473. It's a lovely wide path for approximately six miles to Llantrisant.
Church Village Community Route
Church Village Community Route and entrance to the new section down to Talbot Green and Pontyclun
The new section begins at Llantrisant and flows uninterupted for two miles to Talbot Green. There's then an interesting footbridge over the A473 which drops you onto the last section following the River Ely down to Pontyclun.
Church Village Community Route and entrance to the new section down to Talbot Green and Pontyclun
Llantrisant Community Route
Llantrisant Community Route
Llantrisant Community Route
Unfortunately and without any good reason, I failed to photograph the footbridge. The last traffic-free section into Pontyclun is short but charming.
Llantrisant Community Route alongside The River Ely
I've cycled this route several times since I took the photos shown above and I have to say that it's an exceptional addition. I'm going back later in the summer to explore the areas further.

I've a couple of idea on how I can incorporate this route into a larger and longer loop. It has some interesting possiblities, especially heading south to Barry Island or soutwest toward Cowbridge. I'll just have to explore some more, but this is my start.
 ▲ Back to

Summary: 5x /2021
These were five really good rides. Looking back over them now — almost a year later, I can see interesting possiblities for further development. They all deserve more attention, but I'm especially keen to develop the Cardiff to Newport Loop and the Middle Valleys Tour.

Now that we're moving into summer and the days are getting longer, I should have the time to explore these routes with more detail and take more photographs.

I hope you enjoyed this little write-up and as always, thanks for spending your time with me & Bike Wales.

Cheers! - muse kidd