Getting to Know the Valleys

Llanhilleth, Abertillery, Blaina, Nantyglo, & Blaenavon
It's an unfortunate, yet common sight along the valleys of Wales today; the once properous coal mining towns are now often deserted, run-down, and struggling to hang on. Join me as I explore the High Streets of the sleepy villages along the Ebbw Fach and Afon Llydd valleys.

Overview: Getting to Know the Valleys
Date: August 26, 2022
Distance: 63.6 miles / 102.35 kilometres
Elevation: + 3,631 ft / -3,631 ft
Duration: 12 hours, 17 mins.
Most of my focus whilst cycling has been to photograph the picturesque landscapes of this lovely little country. However, as I look back, I feel that I've been missing something. So I've gone back — this time I'm looking inward.

The cycle routes I often follow mostly run along disused rail lines which mainly avoid busy roads and especially the High Streets of most towns. It can be rather isolating at times. Today, I'm going straight up the heart of this valley to experience the towns and villages. I'm going to explore the towns of Ebbw Fach Valley.

The map below shows the primary route and the focus of the images that follow. You can see a map of my full-ride for the day at the end of this document.
ROUTE COLOUR KEY:  Traffic-free  Shared Use  Quiet Road  Steep Hill

Leaving Crumlin toward Llanhilleth the path follows along the old roadway, barely used, barely visible, fighting the undergrowth to remain.
Occasionally, I might see a dog walker, but this short .5 mi. ride is mostly desolate and quiet.

Once an elevated roadway, all that remains now is a narrow path seperated from a deep ravine over the rail line and the River Ebbw (image below).
Sustrans maintained this section at one time, but it's been a few years since I've seen any of their crew clearing the weeds. You've got to be careful to watch for broken glass and dog waste.

Llanhilleth to Abertillery
There's something to be said about a town that has a train station and Llanhilleth is one of the few to boast such a feature along this quiet valley.

The Llanhilleth Miner's Institute recently had a major refurbishment and hosts a number of community events as well as having a popular café. (image below).
With the exception of cars, time feels as if it stopped decades ago along the neighbourhood streets of this small town.
New car or front garden? The decision was clear for the folks in the image below.
In fact, the streets are lined with cars, but I don't see a soul. Houses are for sale, some have sold, some not. The whole place feels indifferent to progress.
I pass an abandoned railway platform on the cycle path heading toward the village of Six Bells. I wonder if cars negated the need for trains or if the end of train service required everyone to have a car? It's somewhat ironic that these disused train lines now make wonderful walking and cycling paths.

Abertillery to Blaina
So I ask myself as I pedal into town, where is everyone? It's weirdly quiet.
Is this shop just closed or out of business? I can see some carpets in the window, but it looks mostly filled with building materials?
Then I just stumbled across the town's war memorial, tucked off to the side of these houses. The rows of plastic flowers show that folks give the place some attention, but the memorial itself feels lost.
The High Street in Abertillery is clean and tidy. The hanging baskets are colourful and flowers are growing in the planters, but most of the shops are closed. I see an old man slowly loading boxes in a van. He looks long past retirement and uninspired.

I say; "mornin'" as I cycle past and he replies back enthusiastically; "good morning!" So I stop and ask how's he doing? He straightens up with a wide smile and replies; "I'm not doin' so bad, just taking a few things into the charity shop here..."

I look up the street and say that it seems pretty quiet for a High Street. To which he shakes his head: "Yeah, it's tough times these days. This place used to be so busy you could hardly walk up the street from all the people. Shops were open, you could buy anything ya wanted here. People came out just to see people too back then."

I ask where is everyone now? And he says; "I guess workin' down in Cardiff, not here. There aren't any jobs around here anymore. I don't know what the young folks do. Most of 'em move out. Nothin' but us old folks left these days." He shakes his head again and looks down at the pavement; "Times have changed, that's for sure."
Leaving town I pass houses and cars — cars all parked. There is virtually no traffic.

Off to my right, I hear a loud bang and then several crashes like a large appliance fell down a flight of stairs. Then a car alarms begins to sound. Suddenly a man and woman begin yelling at each other — I can hear their every word perfectly.

A few hundred feet further up, sheep graze lazily along the roadside with no distractions or visable concerns (below).
The Hospital Garage could use some life-saving attention (above) and I can't tell if the hotel (below) is being restored or torn down? And then I realize that this is often symbolic of the Valleys, in general.
Coming into Blaina, I pass another good looking pub, but again, I cannot tell if the Queens Hotel is still in business?

Blaina to Nantyglo
An old lady in her electric cart stops and glares at me outside the Red Lion. After I took this photo, I asked her how long the pub had been closed. She just grumbled something under her breath, turned her head, and scooted off.
Behind me, the Blaina Heritage Museum stands proudly across the street (image below). Despite the tattered bunting, the building looks surprisingly good and well cared for. The front door is open and I should go in. But, I know that I'll be in there for hours, chatting with folks eager to tell me stories, stories I'd love to hear. But I must keep going. I say to myself, somewhat guiltily; "next time" and pedal up the road.
Just up the hill, the Bush Inn stands defiantly in front of the Salem Baptist Chapel. Flyers for local bands hang in the windows. I could hear men's voices and the sounds of things being shuffled about from upstairs. But once I got home, I discovered that this place too has closed.
Overall, the High Street looked pretty dire. Most all of the storefronts are boarded-up and even the few shops that do appear open — look a little questionable.
I have to say though, that the streets and pavements are very clean. I didn't see any garbage laying about or other sorts of litter... they're looked after, just empty.

Nantyglo through Blaenavon
Heading into Nantyglo, empty shops and boarded-up storefronts continue to dominate the High Street. Bleached out posters in windows show dates from nearly ten years past. You can sense that these villages were once vibrant and alive, but that feels like a long time ago.
Looking through the window of the Nantyglo Community shop I can see a vast collection of worn paperbacks, VHS tapes, and a museum of porcelain figurines depicting little boys and girls, assorted animals, and whatnot. Chipped crockery filling unwanted cabinets from forgotten relatives. Again, I feel the tug to go in... chat with the locals, but shamefully I did not. It is on my list for when I return.
Leaving Nantyglo I joined NCN Route 466, which follows the road at this point and made a short side trip out to a local landmark with an intriguing history; the Nantyglo Round Towers.
The sign is subtle and easy to miss (image above) and without prior knowledge, one might be disappointed with the "castle" expectation, but the "devil is in the details", as they say.
Nant-y-Glo Ironworks 1820 — image courtesy of the National Library of Wales
Nant-y-Glo Ironworks 1835 — image courtesy of the National Museum of Wales
Nant-y-Glo House — image courtesy of the Blaina & Nantyglo Community Archive

I then rode through the town of Brynmawr without stopping. I don't know why exactly? Sobering thoughts perhaps?

Perhaps I took Brynmawr for granted because I've been there so often? Looking back, I regret it, for in-depth exploration was the plan for this trip. However, my list of things to do on my next ride is growing.

Leaving Brynmawr and passing through Garn Lakes (documented here) and into the Afon Llwyd Valley, my attentions changed significantly. The town of Blaeavon has a distinctly different feel. Firstly, and more importantly, this town is a World Heritage site.
The Blaenavon World Heritage Centre (above) is the focal point for a collection of facilities that shaped all of the South Wales Valleys during the Industrial Age. UNESCO inscribed the Blaenavon Industrial Landscape as a World Heritage Site in 2000 for it's contibution as the world’s major producer of iron and coal during the 19th centruy.

Here you'll find a unique collection industrial complexes which have been restored to provide a historical record of the necessary elements used with the production of iron, including Big Pit National Coal Museum, furnaces and ironworkers’ cottages at Blaenavon Ironworks, railway systems at Blaenavon Heritage Railway, as well as community churches, chapels, a school, and the Blaenavon Workman's Hall (image below).
These fascinating facilites attrack tourists from all over the world and fosters a strong community with a burgeoning economy. It's a unique feature of the Valleys and one that most residents embrace with a sense of pride.

The High Street and surrounding shops are open and business appears good. Th town centre’s only Post Office, Blaenafon Cheddar Company, Butterflies Bar & Kitchen, and The Lion Hotel are just a few of the thriving businesses to be found..
It's important to appreciate the significance these valleys once played on the global stage, but it's also a chilling reminder that those days are gone.
As I pedal through the streets; this is what I see.
Where are the people? I see plenty of parked cars, but I don't see anyone walking about. It's very odd and feels strange.
I left Blaenavon with little fanfare, heading through a sleeply housing estate along quite streets where I then got onto the cycle path (NCN Rotue 492) down the valley to Pontypool.

Summary - Getting to Know the Valleys
There are signs of life, the valleys are not without some form of modern business. I saw a "Greggs" in Abertillery, as well as a "Boots". Blaina even has a newly built "Coop". But to be fair... there was not much else.

The High Streets generally have a pub that has been pouring pints for a century, a charity shop (or two); selling worn paperbacks tattered clothing, a vast assortment of crockery, and VHS tapes. You might find a newsagent offering candy, milk, and cheap beer. But sadly, the streets are often dominated by boarded-up storefronts — closed for decades, unfortunate reminders of times long past.

Note: The map below shows my entire ride for the day
It's a sobering experience to cycle along these barren streets — not quite ghost towns but still feeling ghostly.

This was my first in-depth study and I plan to head back again this fall for some further exploration. There are several areas I missed and I wish to dig deeper. This is just the beginning of an ongoing study of the South East Valleys.

I hope you enjoyed my report and thanks for reading!

Seeya down the road... Cheers! - cm