The Guardian

As it faces out across the surrounding valley, this powerful statue commemorates the lives of 45 men and boys that were lost in the 1960 mining disaster at Six Bells. This massive sculpture pays tribute to all mining communities wherever they may be.
UPDATED!
Overview: The Guardian
Date: April 10, 2021
Distance: 2.5 miles / 4.02 kilometers
Elevation: +194 ft / -70 ft
Duration: 45 mins.
Originally, this ride was part of a much longer ride I made on this day whilst working on my Blaenavon Ramble route. This is a wonderful short ride and an easy one which visits the stunning national monument at Six Bells.

I've decided to include this "little ride" because of it's signifcance to the history of South East Wales and the coal mining which once dominated "the Valleys". It's also the beginning of idea I have about "Getting to Know the Valleys" — an idea I plan to further investigate over the coming years.

This is an easy ride. It's easily accessable by train and it's a ride I think every cyclist in Wales should make. I, myself have cycled this short route many times over the years and its really kinda special to me. So much so, that I've also created a "Beginner Route" in my Routes to Ride section.

You may notice that some of these photos have been utilized for other reports as I passed through Six Bells, but this is the entire collection shown together as a group.

2023 UPDATE: This is an updated version of a previously posted Ride Report. As part of my ongoing redesign of this website, each feature from "Rides to Remember" will be re-formatted to accomodate the new larger page layout. All of the photographs have been re-edited and when needed, the text has been re-edited for context and clarity.
ROUTE COLOUR KEY:  Traffic-free  Quiet Road  Shared Use  Steep Hill

I should document my ride from our home in Oakdale to Llanhilleth. It's an easy ride, mostly downhill and the route captures some of the essence of this part of Wales. But that is a project for another day. Today, I'm taking you on a short ride from Llanhilleth to Six Bells.

Llanhilleth to Six Bells
Starting at the train station, the first .5 mi. crosses over the train tracks and passes the lovely Llanhilleth Miners Institute. My ride then meanders through the terraced houses and a small industrial estate in the village.
Within the Miners Institute there is The Heritage Community Cafe which offers cooked meals, coffees and tea. I've not been there to eat, but I've heard good reviews.
There's not much to see in Llanhilleth, but it has a certain charm that I like.
Heading north out of town toward Aberbeeg, the route drops down alongside the Ebbw River. Here it splits into two smaller tributaries; the Ebbw Fawr (Big Ebbw) which flows down from above the town of Ebbw Vale and the Ebbw Fach (Little Ebbw) which flows down the adjacent valley. It's this smaller valley that I'll be heading up toward Six Bells.
The Ebbw is considered one of the best rivers in Wales for it's abundant number of wild brown trout. Fly fishing is popular and each year the numbers of trout are recorded, some weighing as much as four pounds.
I adore this little lane (below). The houses still retain their original stone and are really well-kept. The gardens are small, but very pretty.
At the end of the lane there's a narrow, dark underpass which zig-zags beneath the road above. Immediately on the the opposite side, the lane then climbs steeply to the upper road!
Once you've climbed that little monster (catch your breath!), the route turns sharply to the right and enters a re-purposed railroad line under yet another subway and an abandoned passenger stop.
The second mile continues traffic-free as it enters a lovely wooded section following the Ebbw Fach Trail (below).
During the Winter and early months of Spring, if you look closely, you might catch a glimpse of the Guardian through the trees. It's massive!
Soon you will come up alongside Parc Arael Griffin, home to the statue and site of the former Six Bells Colliery. It's an obvious turn off the main cycle path to enter the park.
Turning around and heading back across the car park and adjacent to the main road there is the Six Bells Heritage Centre. Despite the seriousness of it's subject matter, it's a charming little museum where you'll find an interactive life-size diorama, cafe and restrooms.
Looking back at Six Bells from high above the Guardian (below).

Summary - The Guardian
As I mentioned at the start, this photos taken on this ride were originally part of a much longer ride and exploration of the valleys. I've take the liberty to create this small report because it deserves recognition — it is very unique and significant to the history of Wales.
ROUTE COLOUR KEY:  Traffic-free  Quiet Road  Shared Use  Steep Hill

I'm fortunate to live so close to this significant monument and I hope you've enjoyed this short, but heartfelt report.

I hope you enjoyed this little write-up and as always, thanks for spending your time with me & Bike Wales.

Cheers! - muse kidd