Wilds of Wentwood

Once the hunting grounds for medieval kings, Wentwood is the oldest ancient forest in Wales. There are few roads within the nearly 2,500 acre wood and at over 1,000 feet above sea level, it's a challenging, yet rewarding climb to the top!
Overview: Wilds of Wentwood
Date: April 16, 2021
Distance: 86.4 miles / 139.04 kilometres
Elevation: + 5101 / - 5100 ft
Duration: 11 hours, 44 mins.
Ihad been planning this ride for over a year. I've made several exploratory rides and spent an enormous amount of time in Google Maps researching routes (not many!) and inspecting elevations. However, there is no avoiding the 1,000 foot climb.

The weather for the day was outstanding and as Spring was unfolding; the days were getting longer. I was quite happy that I could relax and take my time.

The forest is situated quite near the Severn Estuary between Newport and Monmouthshire. The woods dominate a large hill which has been used as the division between north and south County Gwent for hundreds of years.

The ride up the hill into Wentwood and then through the forest was actually quite short. The bulk of my ride was just getting to the forest and returning home. You can also read about my previous climb through Wentwood in Magor & Wentwood Epic.
Milton, Bishton, & Magor
Once aspect of the ride that makes it so enjoyable is the route to and from the forest. All the fun starts once I leave Newport and enter the sleepy village Milton.
It's wonderful and surprising that in less than a mile from turning off the very busy A48, you can find yourself deep in the rural countryside.
The wide open landscape, green pastures, and of course, the abundant farm animals makes this an amazing escape from the noise, the speed, and the general chaos found in the city.
Sandwiched between the A48 and the A4810, this area feels lost to time... an island of calm and quiet isolated amoungst a web of high-speed transportation.
This is a place most people pass by. There are no train stations and the few roads passing through are small with little traffic... perfect for a lazy cyclist.
It is a special place, yet the first signs of urban sprawl have recently begun to appear. It is too close to Newport for the developers to ignore and there is too much land to be exploited for housing. Check out my Magor & Wentwood Epic for more images of this area.
I cross under the A4810 and make my way into Magor — site of a favourite lunch spot. There is absolutely no need for another photo of my bike by this ancient bit of ruined architecture, but I can't help myself... I just love this little spot and I take one every time I'm here.
Parc Seymour & Wentwood
I crossed under the M4, first heading toward St. Brides Neverwent, but veering west onto Bowdens Lane. The time of day, the weather, and the route all came together perfectly. It was magical.
Sometimes, not often, one comes across a landscape that is both visually stunning, yet challenging to capture with a single image. No worries... I'll take as many as I like.
I thought to myself that I could stay here all day... watching the clouds pass as the light changes over the wide rolling landscape. I love the colours and the contrast between the wide fields and the details lurking along the edge of the woods.

But I had to continue, I had many miles ahead of me and much to consider photographing. And then just around the next bend, I stumbled across this view...
Quite simply, the image above is my favourite (so far). I wish to look into the fallen down shed, walk across the field, explore further; I am drawn into the image.
It is a short three miles to Parc Seymour from Magor and the lane is exceptional. After crossing the A48 and passing through the village (gotta love those trees!) the climb up into Wentwood begins in earnest.
Here's the thing about Wales, there are few really tall mountains; it is mostly hills. But the hills can be quite steep and the photos are deceptive. This road, for example hit a 16° incline before I reached the top. I stopped halfway to take the photos below... and to put my lungs back into my chest.
My wife asked me; "why do you take so many pictures of the road?" And well my dear, this is what a cyclist sees and to cycle such a lovely road is of what we dream.
Not only was the road lovely, but it leveled off briefly and I could look back down the valley to where I had come. There is no glory in riding downhill.

Sometimes ya just gotta get off yer bke and walk around. There was a stile along the ridege which lead across an unusual paddock amoungst the trees.
This is not my first venture into Wentwood, but I haven't come up through Seymour Par before and I have to admit that I was shocked to see the extent of logging that is in progress. The woods have been completely deforested on the left side in the image below. Not very welcoming, to say the least.
It's a slow and steady climb so when I reached this small plateau, I stopped for a brief rest and to gain my bearings. Looking back I could see that I was high above the Gwent Levels. Far off along the horizon is the Severn Estuary.
And still I climbed. More signs of logging, but now I can also see encouraging signs that they're replanting trees. In twenty years these will be thick woods again and I wonder if I'll be around to see them? (There's a challenge to myself in that statement... I'll be 81.)
I could tell that I was nearing the top for the tree line was leveling off and the ridge was becoming rockier in places. Signs of old growth and thick forest lined both sides of the road.

I was soon at the summit of Gray Hill, which about 1/2 mile from the popular hiking trailhead and car park; Cadira Beeches. Perhaps I should have walked around more, the views just beyond the tress are quite impressive. Another reason to come back.
But the road beckoned.
Following a short drop the road levels off again at Usk Road — which also happens to be the junction with NCN Route 42 heading west from Chepstow.

I could easily turn left and continue following the cycle route, but the decent is so incredibly steep that I just don't find the ride enjoyable. Many cyclists talk excitedly about the 16°-18° and the speeds one can quickly reach. But for me... I prefer Old Road which veers off to the right and continues north along this high ridge for another three relaxing miles.
This Old Road is just perfect for this old man.
After a short climb the road levels off again and the full impact of the ridge reveals itself. Looking north, the Usk Valley spreads wide before the Brecon Beacons on the horizon.
Too soon it's a downhill race into Llangwm and then three short miles to Gwernesney.
I then turn south and begin a gentle pedal toward Usk. I've cycled 45 miles so far and decide to put away my camera. My photo journal of Wentwood Forest is done for the day.

From Usk, I will have another 35 miles to reach home following a route I've cycled many, many times. It is a route I can cyle without much thought; however, I'm sure that I'll be remembering Wentwood Forest all the way.

Summary - Wilds of Wentwood
If you look at my map you will see that my actual ride through Wentwood Forest was not but a couple of miles. I cycled a long way to get there and then even further to get back. But there is no denying the fact that it was well worth the effort.

With over 5,000 feet of climbing, this ride was a whopper! In the map above you can easily see where the bulk of the climbing came from.

It was an interesting route and I'm sure I'll ride it again. But, I have to admit that I was greatly dissappointed to see so much of the hillsides had been cleared. I'm quite sure I could do some wild camping up near the top where it is still quite wooded, but it will require some further exploration.

The weather for the day couldn't have been better with warm sun and near perfect temperatures. The roads had little to no traffic and overall, it was a fantastic adventure which epitomizes what I enjoy most about cycling.

I hope you enjoyed this little write-up and as always, thanks for spending your time with me & Bike Wales.

Cheers! - muse kidd