Lady Windsor & NCN Route 881

One of my early goals was to ride all of the main routes of the National Cycle Network in the Southeast Valleys of Wales. Now that I've achieved that; I thought it fitting to re-visit a couple of routes with a unique loop that holds a special fondness.
UPDATED!
Overview: Lady Windsor & NCN Route 881
Date: August 31, 2014
Distance: 56.1 miles / 90.28 kilometres
Elevation: + 3441 / - 3440 ft
Duration: 10 hours, 00 mins.
Cycle routes of the National Cycle Network are rather diverse. In cities and towns they are often paved and wide enough to allow both walkers and cyclists. These are commonly called 'shared-use' pathways.

Once outside of town; however, these cycle routes can become quite varied in style and surface. Often following quiet lanes or repurposed rail lines, they can weave their way through manicured parks, over rough logging roads, and even across private farms.
I left from home to join NCN Route 47 at Maescycwymmer. From there I cycled west through Parc Penalta and across to Quakers Yard where I then merged onto the Taff Trail (NCN Route 8) and continued south.

NCN Route 47 begins again as it branches off from the Taff Trail (NCN Route 8) approximately 1.5 mile(s) south of Abercynon or (roughly 2 miles north of Pontypridd). This is where my journal starts.

Surprisingly, Sustrans doesn't list a route by the name of 'Lady Windsor' on their website; however, they have recently added a route number and sticker to the sign. You'll come to its rather cheerless entry as you cross a service road behind a sports playing field.

2022 UPDATE: This is an updated version of a previously posted Ride Report. As part of my ongoing redesign of this website, each feature from "Rides to Remember" will be re-formatted to accomodate the new larger page layout. All of the photographs have been re-edited and when needed, the text has been re-edited for context and clarity.

Glyncock to Castel Nos
In its entirity; NCN Route 47 runs 128 miles from Chepstow in the east all the way across Wales to Fishguard on the western coast. However, it is broken into three notable sections: Chepstow to Quakers Yard, Glyncock to Neath, and Llanelli to Fishguard.

The 'Lady Windsor' route is a sub-section of NCN Route 47 which runs for three miles between Glyncock and Ynysynbwl. The path is well-paved and traffic-free as it follows a re-puposed rail line that once served the Lady Windsor Colliery.

The route is quiet and secluded from the nearby communities as it runs along the valley floor by the Nant Cyldach river.
Once at Ynysybwl, the route merges onto a quiet lane for a short distance before veering behind a small row of houses and up a fairly rough incline. It was quite rocky and muddy and I found myself having to walk a bit, but it is just a short distance to the top.

I re-entered the road on Glanffrwd Terrace and continued climbing, first onto Clydach Road, then onto the B4273, which inturn merges onto Pleasant View Road. It all happened rather slowly as the hills are quite steep. It's a steady pull for just about a mile before reaching St. Gwynno Forrest.
Immediately, I began another steep and slow winding climb up to a high ridge that runs above the villages of Tylorstown, Ferndale, and Maerdy. I will follow this ridge to Castel Nos which sits a couple of miles above Maerdy and at the junction of NCN Route 881. From there I will turn south and make my way back down the Rhondda Fach Valley to Pontypridd.

The remainder of NCN Route 47 continues climbing northwest across the ridge to the top of Craig y Llyn (commonly called Rhigos Mountain). It passes through a massive wind turbine farm at Lluest-Wen Reservoir before dropping down into the Swansea Valley and eventually into Neath.
The cycling is not for the feint of heart in St. Gwynno Forest. It is mostly very rough gravel along forestry roads. I used my touring bike with 700 x 32c tyres, but I'd suggest using wider and softer tyres (perhaps 40 - 50c?)
Briefly crossing a large farm, all that I can hear is the wind, the sheep, and the crunch of my tyres over the gravel. "Yo! What up Shaun?" Even the sheep seemed to be surprised to see me cycling through.
If you like gravel and grinding in yer 'granny gear'; this is a route for you. The forestry road continues much like this for the next five miles.
Of course too, you're surrounded by stunning scenery.
Once at the top the ridge, the route re-enters the forested part of St. Gwynno Forest, an area that covers 2,644 hectares and includes the medievel St Gwynno's Church.
Land slips and subsidence are common concerns through out the valleys of Southeast Wales. The hillsides are often very steep, which combined with the amount of rain we experience; this is what you get.
I like the concept of panoramic photos. They're tricky to get right and don't always give you the same affect as what you envisioned, but this one came out okay.
Logging is big business in the area and when large swathes of trees are felled, it alters the landscape rather dramatically. However, the trees were planted twenty years ago specifically to be harvested, so within a few years this should be lush again.
As distracting as it may bee, I like the fact that I captured one flying past (photo above) and it amazes me how far you can see on a clear day and for such a small country; there is so much undeveloped land.
Then I came around a bend and caught sight of the road coming up from Maerdy. Wind turbines spin silently across on the far hill. They don't seem too intrusive at the moment. It will be interesting to see how many they install.
I haven't seen anyone for hours. No walkers or cyclists - zippo. Just me and Wales.
The colour is outstanding.
As I descend the hill, the clearcutting becomes much more apparent. It seems that they plan to build a few more turbines. NCN Route 47 snakes it's way over the high ridge far ahead.

Castell Nos and NCN Route 881
I reach the junction of NCN Route 881 at the bottom of the hill and smile at the sight of the smooth tarmacced path. This is the zenith of my ride today. From here I'll turn south toward Maerdy and begin my journey back to Pontypridd.
NCN Route 47 continues north behind me. Lluest-Wen Reservoir is just over the distant ridge. Another adventure for another day...
Once upon a time, long, long ago, a great castle once stood high above the trees in this ancient valley.
Very little is known of Castell Nos. Who built it... who lived there remains a mystery. All that we have today is a dusty, rocky outcrop and a few bits of stone foundations indicating massive walls of a motte and bailey.
The Rhondda Fach valley is quite narrow up here making it suitable for reservoirs. If you're interested, I found a bit of information on the 2009 spillway renovation; Welsh Water/Castell Nos.
I also found a wonderful video shot with a drone camera which covers not only the upper valley, but starts along the very cycle path I came along.
Video kindly provided by; © 2015 murphy10fs
One last look up at Castell Nos. I've been told that Red Kite can sometimes be seen nesting is those rocks. Brilliant.
Then I entered where Maerdy Collery once stood. Industrial remnants still survive lending a ghostly feel to the mostly abandoned area. Opened in 1875, the colliery operated for over 115 years, finally closing down for good in December of 1990.
After passing Maerdy, I cross over to the western side of the valley and the route changes back to gravel again as I head down into the woods along side the Rhondda Fach River. In the far distance you can see the small village of Blaenllechau nestled against the eastern hillside.
NCN Route 881 follows the Rhondda Fach River passing though the villages of Wattstown, Porth, and Trahavod before entering Barry Sidings Countryside Parc. The route ends just a mile further southeast in the town of Pontypridd where it joins the Taff Trail (NCN Route 8).

Summary - Lady Windsor & NCN Route 881
The end of my adventure was slow and relaxed. It hadn't been a long ride, but it was fairly difficult. I was tired. The last bit home from Pontypridd was mostly flat to Quakers Yard and across to Maesycwmmer. It was then just a short climb up the hill past Blackwood and on to home in Oakdale.
A bit more about the update: I originally photographed these routes/report at a very wide angle using an early generation Samsung smartphone camera. As I re-edited the photos, I cropped them all to a 3:2 aspect ratio which seems more natural for viewing on contemporary computer monitors.

Also, as I looked back over this report, it bcame clear to me that I had left out a significant portion of NCN Route 881 from Taylorstown to Pontypridd. (No idea why?) However, I can refer you to a more recent report from 2021 (Maerdy & Aberdare [explore ]) when I cycled up the Rhondda Fach Valley from Pontypridd and fully documented the route.

I hope you enjoyed this little write-up and as always, thanks for spending your time with me & Bike Wales.

Cheers! - muse kidd 
Report Card