Mad Explore & Discovery

It was early Spring and the weather was glorious. The days were getting longer and I felt as if I had all the time in the world. I wanted to have a big day out on my bicycle and much to my surprise... that is just what I got!
UPDATED!
- 2017 -

Overview: Mad Explore & Discovery
Date: March 09, 2017
Distance: 78.3 miles / 126.01 kilometres
Elevation: + 4880 / - 4879 ft
Duration: 8:44:35
My plan was simple; to cycle up to Brecon and then return via Langors Lake. Additionally, I planned, rather naively, that I might explore a road which passes along Blaen-y-Cwm Reservoir just above Brymawr.

I had spotted the road on Google Maps and thought it might serve as a new route over the Heads of the Valley. That was my first mistake.

My second mistake was to continue cycling on this new road once it became muddy. Eventually, this decision forced me to abandon the road altogether and make my way across the open moors following a series of goat paths.

And because of these choices; I never made it to Brecon or Llangors Lake, but I had one helluva adventure.
2022 UPDATE: This is an updated version of a previously posted Ride Report. As part of my ongoing redesign of this website, each feature from "Rides to Remember" will be re-formatted to accomodate the new larger page layout. All of the photographs have been re-edited and when needed, the text has been re-edited for context and clarity.

Additionally, this report was initially written for a contest held by Ride with GPS during the launch of their "Ride Reports" feature. I was quite suprised (and honoured) to be selected as one of the finalists. You can view the version I wrote for them here: Mad Explore & Discovery.

Table of Contents
PART ONE | Blaen-y-Cwm Reservoir | 2.2 miles
Getting lost and wandering about the moors...

PART TWO | Llangattack Escarpment | 8.8 miles
Discovering an amazing place and re-assessing my plans...

PART THREE | Clydach Gorge | 8.3 miles
A dramatic glide down the valley along a repurposed railine...

PART FOUR | Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal | 19.6 miles
An easy ride along a sleepy canal all the way to Newport...

SUMMARY | A Review and Reflection
My thoughts on an adventurous day, as well as a Ride Report Card.

PART ONE
OFF ROAD
Blaen-y-Cwm Reservoir
Distance: 2.2 miles / 3.54 kilometres
Elevation: +216 ft / -375 ft
The first part of this little adventure began with heading up NCN Route 467 from Blackwood to Tredegar, then joining NCN Route 46 across to Brynmawr. This is a route I've cycled many times and documented previously.

So I'll start this report with cycling around Blaen-y-Cwm Reservoir; a central character in my three-part tale which highly influenced the remainder of this story.
 ▲ Back to
The reservoir is less than a mile from NCN Route 46 and the scenery looked promising. And although the road was unpaved, it certainly appeared passable.
However, once past the reservoir, the road diminished quickly and it is perhaps here that I should have turned around.
Because soon enough, my plans for reaching Langors Lake fell away as I gave up the muddy road and began a two-hour slog across the moors.
To avoid the muck and the mire, I followed "goat paths" as best I could. However, most of my time was spent dragging the bike sideways over the tall grass and despite my best efforts, I was soon covered in mud up to my knees.
This is not land suited for aimlessly wandering. (Crucially too, my Garmin wasn't drawing a map... I just had a non-descipt line across a plain gray background.) Additionally, it was physically exhausting. Sweat poured from my face. I could only go a hundred feet or so before having to stop to regain my breath. But the views were spectacular.
Then surprisingly, in the far distance I spotted an small sign of civilisation. And with that discovery a wide smile of relief crossed my face along with the realization that I might soon escape from my mis-adventure.
But this discovery was not what I had first thought. This was a discovery of something altogether different and so began another bit of exploration.
Who were these people? What lives did they live... way up here in the middle of nowhere? Who knows of them now?
The lock and chain on this gate says a lot.
I stopped to reflect... I was completely overwhelmed with what I had just experienced. Had I not given up the road to trail blazing across the moors, I would have never have stumbled across this hidden treasure.
Then after a short ride down what was once a driveway, I was down... out from the "wilderness". I had traveled less than three miles, but it felt much farther in both distance and time.
 ▲ Back to

PART TWO
ON ROAD
Llangattock Escarpment
Distance: 8.8 miles / 14.16 kilometres
Elevation: +500 ft / -501 ft
At this point I began my second mini-adventure. I was on pavement, which was a huge relief, but I was unsure of my exact location. My Garmin was of little use, so I just followed the road ahead of me.
I am constantly amazed at seeing such diversity in the landscapes... in such a small country... and within such short distances?
Then I realized where I was... I was on the opposite side of Clydach Gorge.
This photo epitomises my claim; "Wales is like living in a model railroad". Note: There's a cycle path down there too... running along the old rail line. Hmmm?

But first let me explore this road further... what now looms ahead?
The day was simply gorgeous. The air was warm with a slight breeze. The road was well-paved, perfectly flat, and without traffic of any sort. So I just pedaled along not knowing where I was headed. And sometimes ya just gotta shut up and let the photos do the talking...
The paved road came to an end, but a wide footpath continued around the side of the mountain. I followed this path as it snaked beneath a high rocky cliff for about a half mile and then stopped.
I stood there and studied the valley before me. I knew I had to be somewhere above Crickhowell, but where exactly I couldn't make out.

The only way forward was on foot and I had no idea where that might lead. It was time to take a lunch break and think about my plans.
So after lunch overlooking this fabulous valley, I turned around and headed back as I came. The road deserved another look and it somehow must lead back to Brynmawr. When I get back there, I can reassess where to go next.
As I cycled back along the road, past where I had dropped down from the moors, my Garmin suddenly picked up a signal. Thankfully, I could now make my way back to Brynmawr. It was time to make a decision.
 ▲ Back to

PART THREE
NCN 46  Clydach Gorge
Distance: 8.3 miles / 13.35 kilometres
Elevation: +459 ft / -1184 ft
Riding to Langors Lake was completely out of the equation... I had spent too much time hiking across the moors and exploring the mystery road.

I had three basic options: 1.) I could take any easy ride down NCN Route 492 to Pontypool or 2.) head back across the Heads of the Valley on NCN Route 46 to Tredegar as I had come... or 3.) I could go down through Clydach Gorge to Llanfoist where I could then get onto the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal.

Option #3 would be the longer route, but it would be a much more interesting way. I only had a few hours of daylight left, but also I had my new dynamo hub light and this would be a great test. 'Nuff said!
 ▲ Back to
By then it was mid-afternoon and as the clouds began rolling in, I left Brynmawr heading out over the high ridge along NCN Route 46. I know this route well as it passes along the southern side of Clydach Valley and into the gorge.
If you follow my blog, you'll know that NCN Route 46 through Clydach Gorge is one of my favourite routes. I'll go so far as to say that I think it should be designated as a National Scenic Cycleway. I've never cycled on anything like it and it's stunning.
Just to help put things into perspective... Remember this photo below — taken from high across the valley? That's the gorge I'm cycling through now.
I find something majestic about its quiet solitude.
And you've got to ride slowly to take in the views.
It's a wonderful ride down the mountain — a fascinating mix of abandoned railroad detritus scattered along a steep hillside with spectacular views across the valley.
Then before ya know it, the path crosses over the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal at Govilon... where everything is about to change again.
 ▲ Back to

PART THREE
NCN 49  Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal
Distance: 19.6 miles / 31.54 kilometres
Elevation: +722 ft / -1079 ft
I left NCN Route 46 and dropped down onto the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal at Govilon. This towpath follows the canal for 35 miles, from Brecon in the north all the way down to Newport in the south. The section from Llanfoist to Newport also happens to be NCN Route 49 and it's fabulous.
The path is quite narrow in places and men are often fishing along the banks of the canal which are just more reasons to go slowly and take your time.
Soon though dusk was setting in. I had been out on my bike for nearly nine hours and I still had over 20 miles to cycle home...
... and just like the light, I was fading fast. I fired off a few last shots as I wobbled along the towpath, thankful for the flat, happy to be heading home.
Then it was dark and my head was hanging low. Idle thoughts of the day floated through my mind — mixed with the sound of loose gravel as I pedaled the last few miles.
It had been an amazing day. Thank you Wales.

Summary: Mad Explore & Discovery
The first two parts of this ride were completely surprising and mad. Looking back now, I'm still quite amazed. It was such a great day... perfect really. I don't know that I'll cycle/walk back over Blaen-y-Cwm Reservoir anytime soon, but I'm sure glad I did on this occasion.

The third and fourth sections of this ride are ones I have cycled many times. You can read more about these two areas in my Routes to Ride section aptly titled; Clydach Gorge.

I rolled my bike through the back garden gate around 10:30 pm. My little adventure had lasted over 13 hours and I was beat tired.

It had been a memorable day... a mad day of exploration and discovery.

I hope you enjoyed this little write-up and as always, thanks for spending your time with me & Bike Wales.

Cheers! - muse kidd 
Report Card