Gwent Levels & Wentwood [ explore ]

An Old Road for an Old Man
Earlier last year I discovered a quiet lane north of Wentwood Forest that has quickly become one of my favourites. It takes a bit of climbing to reach, but the reward is well worth the effort.

Overview: Gwent Levels & Wentwood [ explore ]
Date: 27 May 2023
Distance: 94.8 miles / 152.57 kilometres
Elevation: +4,262 ft / -4,268 ft
Duration: 13 hours : 00 mins.
The section of NCN Route 42 running between Chepstow and Usk is not for the faint of heart. The roughly 15 mile route follows mostly quiet lanes and the scenery is fabulous, but you should be prepared for some rather daunting hills. There are several long and rather steep ascents, as well as one eye-watering descent, making it a ride for experienced riders on well-equiped bicycles and who are fit.

With that said, the sub-section from Shirenewton to the pinnacle of NCN Route 42 at Pen-y-cae-mawr in Wentwood Forest is wonderful. It is from this pinnacle that I discovered the junction with Old Road that is the main focus of this report and which makes this ride not only safer, but much more enjoyable.
However, getting to Shirenewton is roughly a 25 mile journey from Newport and then combined with a 15 mile return from Usk; this an exceptionally long ride totaling nearly 95 miles and with over 4,200 ft. of climbing.

Oakdale to Newport
As is often the case, I left from home and cycled somewhere else to "officially" start my ride. It's just over 16 miles down the Ebbw Valley following NCN Route 47 along the Crumlin Arm of the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal, through 14 Locks and down to the riverside at Newport.

I'll most likely use the train station at Newport for the start and finish of my final route and the Riverfront will be the beginning leg down to the Gwent Levels.

Gwent Levels to Shirenewton
Without going into the details here, I zig-zagged my way across the River Usk and out of Newport following a combination of shared-use paths and fairly busy roads. It's not a scenic ride by any stretch of the imagination, but with due caution I made my way south-east to the sleepy community of Nash.
Its only four miles or so from the train station to be well away from the noise, traffic, and everything else worth avoiding whilst cycling. My photography began here, along the small lanes, quiet reens and pastures of the Gwent Levels.
From Nash to Goldcliff, to Whitson and on to Redwick, I weaved my way, taking my time along perfectly flat country roads on a stunning Spring day. By mid-morning, traffic is virtually non-existant out here.
If you look at my map closely, you'll notice that I'm not that far from NCN Route 4 heading east toward Chepstow, however; I've added a couple of diversions because the cycling is exceptional.

Another diversion I'm consdering for the final Route to Ride is to cycle out and around the RSPB Newport Wetlands. It's not that far from here, it's right on the water, and it's stunning.
After nearly 18 carefree miles, I properly merged onto NCN Route 4 and began working my way through the towns of Caldicot, Caerwent, and Crick.
Between the towns, the lanes were still very quiet and without much traffic — other than farm tractors and the occasional sheep wandering aimlessly.
However, as I cycled away from the Gwent Levels and more into the countryside, the lanes began to offer a few hills as I made my way toward Shirenewton.
Veering slightly before reaching the junction of NCN Route 4 and NCN Route 42 at Mounton, I turned west to pass along side St. Pierre's Great Woods.
It's a short diversion, but it avoids an unnecessary hill and soon this lane joins with NCN Route 42 just outside Shirenewton.
With one last push, I made it to Shirenewton.

Shirenewton to Wentwood
Shirenewton is very small, but exceptionally quaint. I stopped for lunch and sat on the steps of aptly named Shirenewton Church in the centre of the village.

If you look closely in the photo below, you should spot the NCN Route 42 sticker on the road sign on the lower left side.
Heading north on the outskirts of town, the road begins to gently climb (image below).
It's a slow and steady ascent, but as I continued, the impressive Severn Estuary appeared far off to my left.
I find it well-worth my time to stop along places like this for no other reason than to simply stare.
Just over a mile out of town, NCN Route 42 turned off to the left and began a series of short rolling climbs and descents as I passed over the northern tip of Wentwood Forest.
By mid-afternoon and traffic was still pretty non-exsistant and the cycling was ideal.
Then after a long, steep drop, the valley narrowed and the pavement suddenly became rougher as I moved under a canopy of trees. The houses fell away and the brush along the sides of the road became thick and wild. This was the beginning of Wentwood Forest.
The sun was out, but the temperature had dropped significantly. The air was thick and moist from the smell of wild garlic and knotweed.

As you can see too, I'm still following NCN Route 42, which is well-signed. Thanks Sustrans!
I find it difficult to take photographs in areas of such high contrast. These shots looked great in camera, but unfortunately the highlights have just burned out.
A few moments later, as I was fiddling with my camera in the middle of the lane, a small group of cyclists passed by without saying a word. I called out to them, but heard nothing back.
Soon enough, I reached the top of the hill at Pen-y-cae-mawr. It had been a steady climb of nearly 800 feet and over five miles from Shirenewton. This is the second highest point of my route. I call this "Pinnacle Junction".

This is where I diverged from NCN Route 42. You'll note from the sign visiable on the right, that NCN Route 42 continues on bearing to the left (image above).

Note: NCN Route 42 is a much more direct route to Usk from here. However, directly after this junction, the route descends an exceptionally steep hill (±18%) for nearly two miles! It is so steep and so long, combined with several dangerous blind curves, that I just don't enjoy riding it.
Wentwood to Usk
Turning right put me on the perfectly named; Old Road. This road was once designated as "Local Route 32" (I know this only from maps. I have yet to see a sign for it.) And I will follow this lane for the next six miles as it gently weaves and rolls northeast along this high ridge.

And now you should understand my subhead; "An Old Road for an Old Man".
I hope the Methodist preacher doesn't mind if I park my bike in his spot whilst I look around? The views are incredible.
I'm not a religious man, but if I were, this handsome little church is the kinda place that suits my understanding of Christian worship... quiet and modest (image below).
I really dig this old tree that's around by the side. It's nice to see that they're trying to keep the livestock from damaging it as well.
But the Old Road beckoned and it was time for this old man to go.
This side of the forest was noticably cooler. The leaves had yet to come out in places and were it not for the daffodils lining the lane, I would have sworn it was Autumn.
The lane was quiet and empty and snaked gently along the ridge, rolling down for a bit, then up slightly, and down again. I barely had to turn the pedals.
After a short climb the road leveled off and the full height of the ridge revealed itself. At nearly 800 ft. above sea level, this is the aptly named Golden Hill.
Looking north, the Vale of Usk spreads wide before Bannau Brycheiniog. Sugarloaf Mountain stands proud in the far distance — 30 miles away as a crow flys (image below).
Another mile along the ridge and the lane joined the much busier Chepstow Road. I had cycled nearly 60 miles and decided to put away my camera. My photo journal was done for the day.
It was then a fast two miles downhill, through the rural villages of Llangwm and Gwernesney and finally into the town of Usk.

Usk to Newport
From Usk, I had roughly another 35 miles to reach home (15 miles to Newport and 20 back to Oakdale). I would follow Bullmore Road into Caerleon and then weave my way back up the Ebbw & Sirhowy Valleys.

These routes I have ridden many times, documented previously, and now cycle without much consideration. (If interested, be sure to check out: Vale of Usk II [ explore ].) However, I thought about the Gwent Levels & Wentwood Forest and the beauty of my ride all the way home and that's what it's all about.

Summary - Gwent Levels & Wentwood [ explore ]
This is ultimately, a great, great route. I've got some additional research to make, specifically around the RSPB Newport Wetlands. But to be clear, this is not a route about getting from point A to B, this is about wandering, meandering all day through the lovely countryside.

A brief explanation about the title [explore] - This add-on to the report title is simply my way of designating a "work in progress". Ultimately, I plan on re-publishing many of the elements found here within a final version for my Routes to Ride section. Also, my final route may vary slightly and utilize different photos.
Also to note, the final version of this route may be closer to 50-60 miles in length with the starting and ending points at the Newport Train Station.

I had a marvelous day. It was long and lazy and just what I wanted. This too, was the first ride I made for the year knowing that I planned to write a report; that is, I took my camera and spent a great deal of time making notes.

I think my stats speak for themselves. It was sunny and warm with perfect temps hovering around ± 20°c. / 68°f.

I hope you enjoyed this little write-up and as always, thanks for spending your time with me & Bike Wales.

Cheers! - muse kidd