Clydach Gorge Classic

The weather had been cold, wet, and miserable for the first couple of months of the year. But then in early March the rain finally stopped for a day and it became surprisingly mild. Join me as I recount my first official ride of 2020.
UPDATED!
Overview: Clydach Gorge Classic
Date: March 13, 2020
Distance: 53.3 / 85.78 kilometers
Elevation: + 3624 / - 3621 ft
Duration: 8 hours : 31 mins.
It felt quite strange at first to know that I was going to be out on my bike for an entire day. It's been nearly three months since I've spent more than a just few hours pedalling about. Surprisingly as well, this was just my ninth outing of the year.

2023 UPDATE: This is an updated version of a previously posted Ride Report. As part of my ongoing redesign of this website, each feature from "Rides to Remember" will be re-formatted to accomodate the new larger page layout. All of the photographs have been re-edited and when needed, the text has been re-edited for context and clarity.
ROUTE COLOUR KEY:  Traffic-free  Quiet Road  Shared Use  Steep Hill

I've been slowly building up my distances, so I felt ready for a "real" ride with a proper distance of at least 50 miles and a full day in the saddle. Plus, I wanted a ride which I was familiar with; challenging, but with an understanding of what to expect. This is a "Classic" ride I've made many times.

Oakdale to Six Bells
Sometime around 10:00 I rolled out of the gate and was off. I left our village following the back lanes through Croespenmaen to Treowen, Newbridge, and Crumlin. I crossed over the very busy A467 and found the old main road - now disused except for walkers and the occasional cyclist, and made my way the short distance to Llanhilleth.

After about a mile, the disused road becomes used again at a cul-de-sac along by a small set of houses. Here too, is the junction of NCN Routes 465 & 466. Following NCN Route 465 straight on, I snaked my way along the road through Llanhilleth to Aberbeeg. Here the route becomes traffic-free and runs just about a mile up though some lovely woods following the old rail line to Six Bells and site of my first stop.

Six Bells - Parc Arael Griffin
It's not well-known and and often very quiet, but this small park is home to one of the most amazing sculptures in all of Wales; "The Guardian".
My photos don't do the artwork justice, for it is surprisingly powerful to see in person. The story about the men and boys who died here isn't unique - it happened at every mine in every valley. What makes this place special is the tribute.

It's such an easy place to visit too. I highly recommend this to everyone.
Note: I made another ride to this exceptional monmument in 2021. You can find better images with a more in-depth report here: The Guardian.
Getting back on the cycle path and into the woods, I made my way up to the next village of Abertillery. It's a little awkward to follow the route through the car park of Tescos, but if you go slowly and keep a close lookout, the NCN Route 465 signs do reappear which will guide you along the quiet back streets to Abertillery.

Abertillery - Blaenau Gwent RFC
It doesn't look like it today, but these grounds were first built for bicycle racing! Before Rugby and football were popular, folks would gather here from all over Wales to watch world-class bicycle racing.
If you look closely (below), you can still make out the banked curves now over-grown with grass as they turn under the trees. You can read more about the cycle track at: Out of the Blue Artifacts: Abertillery Cycle Track — Early History
Then I was back in the woods for a couple of lovely miles as the cycle track snakes along side the Ebbw River to Duffryn Parc at the sleepy village of Blaina.
Unfortunately, at Blaina the route merges next to the A467 for two very uninspiring miles. It's a bit of a slog with cars racing past on your left as you make the steady climb, but soon enough the route veers off onto quieter roads at Nantyglo.

Brynmawr - Town Square
From Nantyglo it's just a mile through several small housing estates to reach the town of Brynmawr. NCN Route 465 ends just before Brynmawr where it joins NCN Route 46. I'll follow NCN Route 46 into town and take a break.
This is a good place to stop. There are shops for snacks, cafes for tea or coffee, pubs for meals, and even public toilets just down from the main square. I've traveled just over 17 miles — slowly climbing most all the way and this is pretty much the top.
After my tasty lunch, I'm back on the bike. I'll continue on NCN Route 46 out of town and across a high ridge toward Garn Lakes before reaching the junction with NCN Route 492. From there I'll drop down into the gorge.

Clydach Gorge
I'm just gonna say this; Clydach Gorge should be designated as a "Scenic Cycleway". It's so damn impressive. Everytime I ride this route I find myself stopping just to look because it is simply stunning. I've never seen anything like it and I love it.
This section of NCN Route 46 runs high above the Heads of the Valley for just over six miles starting outside Brynmawr and continuing down to Govilon.

Sugarloaf rises proud on the distant horizon, as the Heads of the Valley Road snakes its way toward the village of Gilwern (below).
Abandoned quarries, dis-used rail tunnels, and industrial-age relics are scattered all along the route. You'll navigate narrow passages, cross high viaducts, and glide silently through heavily wooded sections as you slowly make your way down the mountain.
As you begin to leave the gorge itself, the route follows a charming little lane for just over a mile before rejoining the traffic-free disused rail line. The next two miles are a downhill coaster all the way to Govilon.
It would be easy to just let her rip, but this is a popular section for dog-walkers and joggers, so you should use some caution.

Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal
Once at Govilon, I left NCN Route 46 and dropped onto NCN Route 49 which follows along side the canal all the way down to Newport. From here my ride takes on an altogether different feel from the dramatic mountain adventure I had just a few minutes ago.
From here it's roughly 13 miles to Pontymoile Boat Basin where I'll exit the canal path and begin heading home. I took a few more photos, but to be honest, I've photographed this route so many times, I just didn't have the inspiration today.
But despite my best efforts, I had to shoot a few more... the one directly above is at Goytre Wharf and the one below is just past Pontymoile Boat Basin where the M&B Canal goes under the old disused rail line, which is NCN Route 492.
Originally, I had planned to ride on down to Newport and then cycle back up the western branch of the M&B Canal through 14 Locks and to Crosskeys, but by the time I had reached Pontymoile, the sky began to look dire, so I made a change of plans.

Sure enough, as I was heading into Crumlin the rain started and the temperature dropped and and it started to get dark and the last seven miles was a long, cold ride home.

Summary - Clydach Gorge Classic
I have cycled this route many times. I have taken hundreds of photos and written extensively about my love for Clydach Gorge. It is a route every cyclist in Wales should make at least once. It's not that long or difficult, but it's incredibly scenic and full of Industrial Age character that merits recognition.

The astute reader will notice that I've also included photos and descriptions of both my ride to the gorge, as well as returning home. Hopefully this will not be too much of a distraction. I've other reports that focus on those areas in particular.

There is no such thing as a "Scenic Cycle Byway" in Wales, but Clydach Gorge should be on the short-list for consideration.
ROUTE COLOUR KEY:  Traffic-free  Quiet Road  Shared Use  Steep Hill

About the update: As I've been working on both my new reports and older/pre-2022 ride preports, finding my original photos has been hard work. Unfortunately, I haven't bee able to locate many sets — this being one such set. These were originally shot on a phone camera at a ridiculously wide 16:9 aspect ratio. (What was I thinking?)

Fortunately, I have a new report from 2021 coming soon, so be sure to check back.

I hope you've enjoyed my re-telling of this wonderful adventure. Thanks for visiting.

Cheers! - muse kidd 
Report Card