Llangynidr & Sugarloaf Classic

From the mountains of the Brecon Beacons to the secluded farmlands in the surrounding valleys; this is one of the harder routes I cycle each year. Not only has it become a staple of my cycling schedule, but it is also one of my favourites.
UPDATED!
Overview: Llangynidr & Sugarloaf Classic
Date: August 10, 2017
Distance: 86.3 miles / 138.89 kilometres
Elevation: + 6004 / - 6004 ft
Duration: 11 hours, 56 mins.
This is a big ride and it's jam-packed with stunning scenery from wide mountain vistas to quiet river valleys and quaint Welsh villages tucked along scenic canals. It's one of my favourites which I return to year after year... it's a classic.

Now I say this is a big ride for two reasons; yes, it's nearly 90 miles in length and it will take all day to cycle, but it's not the distance nor the time that I find difficult... it's the climbing. In less than ninety miles, this route gains over 6,000 feet in total. And that my friend, is no small accomplishment.

2023 UPDATE: This is an updated version of a previously posted Ride Report. As part of my ongoing redesign of this website, each feature from "Rides to Remember" will be re-formatted to accomodate the new larger page layout. All of the photographs have been re-edited and when needed, the text has been re-edited for context and clarity.
rwgps-embeds.com/embeds
A Special Thank You - Before I get started, I want to recognise a special fella from Sustrans Cymru that not only first pointed out this route to me on a map, but opened my eyes to so much more in Wales. Tim John, thank you. We haven't cycled this route together, but you were spot on. It's fabulous and perhaps one day we'll ride it together. Cheers! - cm

Llangynidr Commons
I first cycled up Sirhowy Valley from home, crossing the Heads of the Valley from Tredegar to Brynmawr. I didn't document that part of the ride because I've cycled this way so many times; it seems redundant to put those photos at the start yet again.
If you're interested, you can see the main part of the ride along NCN Route 467 in my gallery: Quoits Wood Crossing.
The first climb of this route leaves out of Garnlydan up into Llangynidr Commons at the southern end of the Brecon Beacons National Park. The views begin immediately with wide open vistas across the high moors.
As you approach the summit, the Black Mountains rise up far off on your right.
Once over the summit, the road begins snaking down the northern side (above), as Sugarloaf Mountain comes into view high above Crickhowell (below).
The road then becomes a rollercoaster of sharp turns and steep drops as you race north down the mountain. In the far distance you can just make out Llangorse Lake as a thin sliver line near the horizon (below).
With one last and long drop the road winds down to the bottom (above) where you're then deposited back on level ground just outside of the village of Llangynidr at Cyffredyn Lane.

Llangynidr to Crickhowell
Turning right from here leads to Crickhowell and for the next four miles the road weaves its way between the River Usk and the Monmouthsire & Brecon Canal.
The road gets rather narrow in places and can be busy at times, but it's simply lovely cycling.
Coming into Crickhowell you must first cross the lovely Crickhowell Bridge (above).
There are several nice coffee shops and cafes in Crickhowell. (Plus public toilets by the visitor centre.) I generally stop because I won't pass any facilities for the next 25 miles.

The castle at Crickhowell is nothing more than the ruins you can see from the road (below).

Snaking behind the Sugarloaf
The sign above is completely misleading because the first half mile is a lung-busting 16% climb. And it's more than a little shocking to suddenly drop down the other side at 25%.
Halfway up the hill, I stopped to catch my breath, rest my legs and look back (above).
Once at the top there is a very short ride past a couple of small farms before the road plunges 25% down again into the village of Llangenny (below). There has to be a better way? (I need to explore!)
Blink and you're out of Llangenny. The road then becomes a series of rolling hills around the northwest side of Sugarloaf mountain.
The lane snakes and climbs, rolls and weaves as it follows the Grwyne River. At places it can be rather steep, but there's no need to rush. Every climb offers a new reward.
Looking over the hedgerows, the views are magnificent. Sugarloaf Mountain rises proud and massive to my right, while the Grwyne River snakes silently below at her base (below).
It's wonderfully quiet. I can hear men casually talking as they hammer on the roof of an old barn, the cows moaning inside. A tractor rumbles in the distance.
A lovely re-modeled school sits precariously at the junction of two roads midway up a desperately steep hill at the community of Forest Coal Pit (below).
Today is perfect. The sky and clouds and landscape all seem to be enjoying each others company. I find myself talking aloud in awe of my good fortune.

Weaving above Abergavenny
And I think to myself that I am a lucky boy indeed. I am compelled to document the day, to photograph the landscapes and show the world the beauty of Wales.
The Skirrid stands proudly to my left.

Clytha and Bettws Newydd
By this point I've cycled nearly 40 miles. I'm just about half way. I've skirted above the town of Abergavenny so that I can stay in the countryside and now I'm slowly making my way toward Clytha and NCN Route 42.
The afternoon is getting late and the shadows long. I've been cycling quite slowly and leisurely. I'm fighting the urge to hurry home.
I stop to take a few photographs and then I just stand there... looking, taking it in, absorbing the views. There is no one about. No cars, no planes overhead... just me in all this majesty.
I join NCN Route 42 at Clytha heading southeast. This section is of the route is quite lovely as it climbs up through the exceptionally cute village of Bettws Newydd and then down past sleepy Llancayo. You can often find other cyclists traveling along here for it is quite popular and near to the town of Usk.
There's the Black Bear pub in Bettws Nwydd, which is an odd name for a pub in Wales since there are no bears in Wales and haven't been for thousands of years! (However, it's extremely cute and it always makes me think of the mountains of North Carolina... which has LOADS of black bears!)

There's a lovely old watering trough and not much else other than fabulous country homes. It's the perfect place to take a break.

Llancayo and onto Newport
The landscape unfurls like a carpet coming down from Bettws Newydd as the farmland of Cyltha just rolls out in front of me. This is the heart of the Vale of Usk.
In the image below you can see the old windmill which as been lovingly restored. It now serves as a posh B&B and you can no longer wander up to see it closely. It's nice to see it restored, but kinda sad and less interesting.
I'll not stop in Usk. I'll continue on, trying to make up some time as the afternoon is getting late. My route follows the River Usk along the back roads to Caerleon and Newport.
There is much to see and photograph along the way, but I must save that for another day. I'm chasing daylight now.
I stop one more time by the Transporter Bridge in Newport. I've cycled 65 miles so far and I've another 20 to get home. It's looking like I'll soon be riding in the dark.
I can't count the number of times I've sat and looked at this big ole spindly thing. There's something quite serene about watching the tide float along the banks of the river. I pull my thoughts together and regroup for the final push home.

Summary - Llangynidr & Sugarloaf Classic
This ride is one of my favourites. It combines several smaller sections that I ride frequently into one big classic adventure. I've made this classic loop several times now and I just love it.

This was a great day. The wet weather was brilliant. I felt completely laid-back and relaxed. The ride was a slow as I could make it.
It's late in the fall and the days are getting too short to make this again till next year. I can't wait! Thanks for taking the time to join me.

I hope you enjoyed this little write-up and as always, thanks for spending your time with me & Bike Wales.

Cheers! - muse kidd 

A brief word about the update - As I began reworking this report, I felt somewhat compelled to rewite/update the text. However, as hackneyed as it seems in places, it does portray my feelings at the time. I spent the bulk of my time re-editing the photos; cropping them to a 35mm aspect ratio and opening the shadows slightly.


Report Card